Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Time to "stabilize".

Alrighty! Went to the doctor yesterday, and all is well... so far. They took some blood for labs, and we'll see if everything comes out good. Hopefully, we'll find out that my cholesterol is normal, and all my vitamins are at good levels.
The doctor was happy that I'd lost the weight. The first thing she asked was whether or not I'd been using any diet pills or if I had had surgery! LOL Oh no... not THIS girl. That kind of elective surgery is not for me.
She was happy that I had done it the old fashioned way, with cutting calories and burning more than I eat. She wasn't too concerned about the speed that I lost it. It's slowed down considerably. She actually told me that after losing 75 lbs in less than 6 months, my body was bound to need time to readjust. "Stabilize" is the word she used. So if I maintain this weight for another couple weeks or so, it's not a big issue. I'll give myself time to get used to this weight, then by the end of August, I'll start really pushing again, and maybe by Christmas, I'll get that last 15 off.
I weighed in at 183 on her scale, so mine at home isn't off like I thought it was. This morning at home, I'm 182.4 again, same as I was last Saturday.
As far as my blood pressure meds go, she's going to leave me on the same dosage for the next three weeks, and then I'll see her again. In the meantime, I'm to log my BP every other day or so, and keep track of my heart rate. etc. My heart rate is sometimes as low as 55 right when I wake up, before I get out of bed. She said that's good for an athlete. But I'm not an athlete. So it might be that the meds are making it a little too low.
It's possible that I could be on the meds indefinitely, just because it's a genetic thing. I inherited my high blood pressure from somewhere up the line. But she thinks she might be able to lower the dose, once we get an idea where my pressure is on this dosage. That's good news. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer the pills, or the lower the dosage, the better.
All and all, a good visit. The doctor emphasized that I need to make sure I'm learning how to eat, and not get used to just eating the low-cal food that I've been losing weight with. I've been working on that, by incorporating a lot more different foods into my diet. Still counting calories, and limiting myself, but allowing myself to eat some of my favorites.
They've been taking care of me for 14 years now, and I trust their opinions. I'm glad I finally took their advice and did something about the weight. I think by losing this weight, I've added a few quality years to my life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment