Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oh, how I've grown.

When I was little, it was considered "baby fat". Then, I graduated to "chubby". By the time I was in high school, I was considered a "big girl". I maintained that "big girl" weight for years. I was the girl no one wanted to mess with. At 5'10", and 170, I was within my safe weight range, but still looked like a big bruiser. Over the years, I slowly put on more weight. I was in good, safe relationships, and became comfortable. My self esteem never seemed to go down as I gained the weight. I was what my friend, Yvonne, would call, "Reverse Anorexic". I looked in the mirror, and thought I was thinner than I really was. I didn't see it sneaking up on me. By the time I was 30, I was over 200 lbs. I got married that year, and 2 years later became pregnant with my son. I gained 44 lbs with my pregnancy, and I entered the hospital to deliver my son weighing 276 lbs. It was incredible. I was huge. My son was a big baby, but he was NOT 44 lbs! :-)
In 1999, I was divorced. That same year, I was also diagnosed with gall bladder disease. At 232 lbs, I was severely overweight, and all the grease and bad food I had been putting in my body was making me seriously sick. In order to postpone the inevitable surgery, I began eating better. I decided to turn an emotional time in my life into a turning point. I cut out all red meat, and greasy foods, and began walking on the treadmill for an hour a day. Within about 2 months, I had lost 40 lbs. I was below 200 for the first time in years, and I was ecstatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment